The North Cheshire Wind Orchestra is a community symphonic wind orchestra based in Warrington in Cheshire who perform regularly at the town’s Pyramid and Parr Hall. The orchestra play a wide range of music including standard repertoire by composers including Gershwin, Bernstein, Holst and Strauss, more unusual and modern works, and new compositions commissioned by the ensemble. The NCWO has twice performed at the prestigious International Wind Festival at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester and achieved Gold Awards at the National Concert Band Festival in the 2004 & 2005 National finals.
The objectives of the North Cheshire Wind Orchestra are:
- To further the enjoyment of wind band music for members and the general public by performing regular concerts. The music performed at concerts should balance the preferences of members with the musical tastes of the public, whilst giving prominence to original compositions for wind band.
- To further musical education and appreciation within the local community including schools and youth groups.
- To recruit keen wind players and percussionists from the community and from further afield.
- To maintain and improve the playing and musicianship of members, and to perform wind band music to a high standard.
- To encourage the composition of original works for wind band through the commissions fund.